Saturday, September 8, 2012

Peace in a Stressful World

I think we'd all agree that life can be stressful. Three that come to mind are in the areas of relationships, finances, and work. Is it possible if we apply Biblical principals to these areas we can reduce the stress level that each one brings? The answer is yes.

Relationships

Relationships go sour when people stop talking. This is often when someone's pride is hurt from another individual. "I'm not forgiving that person. They hurt me. And now they're gonna know how it feels to be hurt back." And as the walls go up so does the stress. And the peace in your life diminishes. You'll get your peace back when you forgive them.

Matthew 18:21-30
21Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?"22Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.
Let's be open to the fact that not all hurt is bad hurt either. A few years ago my Dad said to me, "You know, your money is your God." Did I believe him? No. But he was right. I was worshiping my money. It really hurt my pride to have him say that but the end result was I no longer worship the idea of having a large bank account. I can only serve one master. And that's my Lord Jesus Christ who gives me the wisdom and strength to write these devotions, and continually step into dangerous territory with other Christians so that when the dust settles He seems more real in their hearts.


Finances


Ever had a hard time sleeping cause you're stressed out about finances?
"This month I'm a little strapped for cash. How will I be able to buy groceries?"

It might be about clothes. "My jeans are wearing out. I can't wear these in public anymore. But where is the money going to come from to buy new ones?"
You can regain Peace and gets some sleep in these situations by understanding this simple principal in the Bible.

If God provides for the birds of the air, think how much he cares for you and is interested in your provision.

Mathew 6:25-26

25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

Work

A person's place of work is a great example of a stressful area because it can involve many stressful dynamics. Work relationships with other employees, supervisors or the boss, money related politics, or the ethics of people you work with like dishonesty, gossip
or insensitive remarks just to name a few. And one day as you're coming home thoughts surface such as "It's not fair" or "I don't need this" And than you realize 'my Peace is gone.

You can get it back. Remember your focus. You serve Christ.

2 Corinthians 25-28

25Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. 27I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. 28Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches.

Despite all of the Apostle Paul's sufferings he kept his focus. Grow the early church . And because of his sacrifice and perseverance I write to you today giving all credit to our Lord Jesus Christ and Savior. If you want your peace back ponder this thought. I now know the sacrifice and the sufferings Paul went through to serve Christ. What am I prepared to go through to serve the Risen Savior?


Philippians 4:4-9

4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.


God Bless

No comments: